For 4 portions you need:
- 4 beef olives (flat and large beef you can roll to a beef olive) (Rinderroulade)
- 100g beef ground meat (Rinderhackfleisch)
- 200g boiled ham cubes (Kochschinkenwürfel)
- 5 big mushroom (Champignons)
- root vegetables (Wurzelgemüse): carrot (Karotte), celeriac (Sellerie), leek (Lauch), parsnip (Pastinake) (all cut to small pieces)
- 2 onion (Zwiebel)
- 2 clove of garlic (Knoblauchzehe)
- 1 gherkin (Gewürzgurke)
- 390 ml beef stock (Rinderbrühe)
- ca. 200ml water (Wasser)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (Schmand)
- ca. 2 teaspoon hot mustard (scharfen Senf)
- 2 bay leaves (Lorbeerblätter)
- a bit olive oil (Olivenöl)
- spices: salt, pepper, noble sweet paprica (Paprika edelsüß)
First you take the beef olives and salt and pepper it from one side and apply also the hot mustard on this side.
Next do the stuffing of the beef olives: Cut the mushrooms and the onions in small pieces. Roast the boiled ham cubes and the mushroom pieces gently for a small amount of time. Now mix the boiles ham cubes, the mushroom and the onion pieces and the beef ground meat and spice it with noble sweet paprica and the mashed gloves of garlic. Part the stuffing in 4 parts and put the stuffing in each beef olive and in each case on the wider end of the beef olive. Press the stuffing on. Now take the gherkin and quarter it. Each beef olive gets one-quarter of the gherkin on top of the stuffing. Now roll the beef olives and fastening it with a toothpick (Zahnstocher), cooking yarn or wathever you can think of.
Take the root vegetables and a bit olive oil and roast it gently in a pan. Take everything out and roast the beef olives gently from every side (take also a bit olive oil). Now put the root vegetables, the water, the bay leaves and the beef stock into the pan. The whole thing must stew with a small amount of heat for about 1 to 1 1/2 hour.
Take the beef olives out of the pan and put the sour cream into the gravy. Let everything boil up. If you like you can purée the root vegetables.
Serve the beef olives with spaetzle or boiled potatoes.